Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Day One - Beginning On The Cushion

" Without going out of my door, I can know all things on earth, without looking out of my window, I can know the ways of heaven.  The farther one travels, the less one knows, the less one really knows.  Without going out of your door, you can know all things on earth, without looking out of your window, you can know the ways of heaven.  The farther one travels, the less one knows, the less one really knows.  Arrive without traveling.  See all without looking.  Do all without doing." ~ The Inner Light  George Harrison
 So, this is my cushion.  A coupla rolled up blankets and some candles to boot.  Part of what I'm hoping to achieve is the discipline to sit, with care for how I practice, every day.  I have meditated every day, in some form or another, for years.  If the practice was not formal - e.g. while riding the subway - it happened nonetheless.  Every single time I sit (formally) I know I am doing my absolute favorite thing and then I wonder why I don't do it more often.  That's the thing!!  THE question!!  Why don't I/we do the things that are truly fulfilling and bring us closer to our real, authentic self/selves more often? 
Tired right now but I thought it might be nice to end with a photo of Mike, my lab, that I took right as I was finishing up my practice this morning.  I took this over my shoulder.  He stays there the whole time and just watches. 



No comments:

Post a Comment